Beat the heat at MASA (Makati Aqua Sports Arena)

Why look for more posh pools when MASA (short for Makati Aqua Sports Arena) is just around the corner?



beat the heat at MASA


My eldest son and I usually spend our summer in Tayabas City, Quezon (that’s my hometown). He loves it in there – the freshness of the air, the green sceneries, and the total ambiance that someone living in the Metro can’t get.



But since we’re unable to visit for “some” reasons and he regrets that we missed a lot – including the annual family picnic, thus he’s very insistent to go swimming.


Okay, so what a mom can do? 




It’s been months since our last dip and it is scorching hot in Manila. So I finally gave in! (Though at the back of my mind, I still needed to inform hubby. I know he’s extra protective to us now that we have our second child.) *No problemo! It’s fine with him!*







THE PLAN


You know the practical side of me always strikes in a situation like this. Why look for more posh pools when MASA (short for Makati Aqua Sports Arena) is just around the corner? And it’s just a few minutes away from our home via jeepney. 





So we set the date, stuff to bring- clothes, snacks, etc. 

My son agreed. 
No questions. 
No debate. Good!
He was just excited. Perfect! 



We even invited his two new friends coz they haven’t seen the place yet. Oh, the look of enthusiasm! You could really see it in their eyes!  


Beat the heat at MASA
top view of MASA (photo credit to the source)

 


THE ACTUAL DAY


Sometimes, some things just don’t go as planned, right? As much as I wanted to do everything, I often found myself wrestling with time (haha). 

Well, that happens when you’re a breastfeeding mum. 



Picture this.



So the baby started crying in the middle of your busy-ness and you couldn’t say no. She would only stop once you breastfeed her to sleep. 



What can I do?



There I was, left with all the unfinished tasks. Good thing my 11-year-old knew how to fry ham & egg and made sandwiches and juice as our “baon” (snacks) He's really a great help!



*Meanwhile, it was raining outside so we stayed till it stopped.* 



Then the five of us – my son Mark, my baby Xandra, siblings Karl and Andi and I left home around 2:30 PM. We were a little behind our set time.  








 

THE PLACE


*While paying the entrance fee, I was surprised when the cashier told us we only had until 4:00 PM to swim. Oh no! 1.5 hours left. Lapses on my part. I was here two years ago. I must have forgotten the schedule (tsk tsk).*



INSIDE...



MASA is an outdoor swimming pool so be sure to bring a sunblock with you. There are actually two pools here, the Olympic sized pool (50 m) and the kids’ pool.


beat the heat at MASA
Olympic sized pool

For the Olympic sized pool, the first two lanes are reserved for training athletes; the next few lanes are for casual swimmers; the last two (or three?) are for people who just want to splash around and play.



beat the heat at MASA
kids' pool

But of course, we only stayed on the kids' pool for safety purposes, being the only adult chaperon of 3 kids and a baby :)



It was already jam-packed when we arrived but the kids wasted no time coz we only had more than an hour to go. Too bad!  :(

Beat the heat at MASA
they couldn't get enough of fun

Beat the heat at MASA
not a trace of fear on my baby's face

I was hesitant to try it at first because I don't know how to swim. But the cool water looked so tempting so I gave it a go. And my little one couldn't care less. It's my baby's first-ever swim and she enjoyed it as much as the other kids!
 
beat the heat at MASA
I'm one of the kids haha...we'll definitely be coming back!

Though we only had a limited time, the experience was all worth it. :)


***




The reviews are right, MASA is indeed one of the best public swimming pools in Makati or possibly the Metro.

Note: proper swimwear needed and required. See picture below:




LOCATION
Along J.P. Rizal Ext. West Rembo, Makati City beside Makati Park and Garden and in front of Fort Bonifacio High School.

SCHEDULES
Weekdays: 9 AM - 4 PM
Saturdays: 9 AM  - 8PM
Sundays:   8 AM - 8 PM


Come and experience MASA! See you there!


Hugs,
Joan




Last updated: July 17, 2019


Let’s Connect! 👉  Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter

Labels: , ,