Week 1: My First Sight of Christmas (6 Weeks to Christmas Series)



There's no doubt, Christmas is my most favorite season ever! I'm one of those who've been anticipating for it since September first ( that's too early I know 😊 ). And since it's already November, then I guess I can officially start talking more about it here. 


So welcome to my first ever blog series, my friends!





I always feel excited every time this season approaches. It never fails to bring back those childhood memories (happy or sad) whenever I hear the songs, see Christmas trees adorned with twinkling lights etc. I feel like a child so eager to open her gifts from Santa. Is there some kind of magic Christmas did to me? I'm not sure though...

I’ve been wanting to start this series with something fun, after all, this blog is all about happiness, cheerfulness and simple joys but you know what, it always points me to that first place...to that first sight...to that bitter sweet Christmas memories. So I'm just going to follow my heart as I write this post. Warning: It’s going to be all nostalgic here.




I saw my inquisitive four year-old self standing beside my Mother one evening. She was somewhat busy doing something on the table. I tried to take a look but my little self couldn't see it so I stood on tiptoe.


Then I saw miniature figures like that of animals, children, shepherds and kings. There were also grasses and white clouds made of cotton.  My innocent eyes wouldn't stop to wonder as I saw a baby surrounded by his Mother and Father and a big star on top of them.

“Ano po yan Nanay? (What is that Mom?),” I curiously asked.  

Belen ito anak (This is a Belen, my child.),” she replied. “That is baby Jesus, Mama Mary and Papa Joseph....,”as she patiently explained each one while I listened attentively.

That Belen was made even more beautiful with the addition of colorful Christmas lights that seemed to dance while I gazed at them.


It is beautiful to talk about beautiful things and even more beautiful to silently gaze at them. Dejan Stojanovic



My beloved Mother made a classic model of a Nativity scene that I won't forget. It was so grand in its simplicity and sent a strong message to my young heart that I will hold forever: love, humility and family. 




I came from a big family, the fifth child in a brood of six. My mother was a devoted homemaker while my father worked hard as a policeman to make ends meet.


I didn't know life was hard back then coz my parents didn't show it. I remember the laughters, the chaos/riot of having 5 siblings (haha) but those were fun moments for sure. We didn't have much food on the table but it didn't matter to me as long as we're together.


Let's talk about my Father more.


He was a man of authority as I recall, strict and disciplinarian. But I was closer to him than my mom for some reasons. His generosity and thoughtfulness even in the smallest things are what I’ll always remember.


It was almost Christmas and my “Tatay” as I fondly called him gave me a fancy red, green and white stripes, hook-shaped thing one night.


“What is this Tatay?” I asked. “It’s a candy cane,” he answered.



Having a sweet tooth, I devoured the peppermint flavored candy instantly, not knowing it would be the last candy cane I’d ever receive from my Father.


It was so unfortunate that his job cost him his  life. He was our family’s great loss...


I could no longer recall the last Christmas I spent with our “Tatay." Those are blurred scenes playing on my mind...


All I know is I never looked at “candy cane” the same way again…until now…

Yup,  it's just a piece of candy but it always reminds me of my dearest "Tatay," not in a sad way though. I look at it as a sweet image of a father comforting his little one by giving her a candy. That's what he is to me - a very loving and caring father.


Isn’t it a wonder how small things remind us of our inner joys?


That "Belen" and candy cane became my first sight of Christmas. And will forever symbolize LOVE, well at least for me. 💕



Have you thought of your earliest Christmas memory? 



Hugs, 
Joan


6 Weeks to Christmas Series, Week 1

Images credit to: pixabay.com


Let’s Connect! 👉  Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter

Labels: , ,